Saturday, June 18, 2011

Therapy

I need retail therapy. No, not the kind where you go on a spending spree to make yourself feel better about something. I'm talking about actually having to seek psychiatric help from having worked in retail.

Today was my last day at my retail job. Aside from my coworkers, I can honestly say I won't miss a thing. It's been almost a year now and it's definitely time to move on. However, my managers didn't exactly see it that way...

I approached them two weeks ago to give them my two weeks notice. I just told them that since I was leaving on a study abroad I needed to quit. Here's how it went down:
Manager 1: "You are going on a study abroad so you're going to QUIT?" (said quite belligerently, actually)
Me: "Well yeah, because when I come home I'm moving to DC to go to school."
Manager 1: "Ugh, fine."

Later that shift:
Manager 1: "So, have you ever considered transferring? We could just do a leave of absence for your study abroad and then you can transfer to a store in DC when you get back."
Me: "Well that is an option, but I really don't think it's going to work for me since I'm going to be crazy busy with school."

I left that day thinking I had gotten my message across. The next time I worked that same manager approached me:
Manager 1: "Ok, I talked to Manager 2 about your transferring and he said that's great and he's happy to do it."
To which I promptly approach Manager 2 and have the following conversation:
Me: "Hey, I know that Manager 1 talked to you about my transferring, but that's really just not going to work for me because I won't have time to work with school."
Manager 2: "Not even one day a week?"
Me: "No, not even one day."
Manager 2: "Not even one three-hour shift a week?"
Me: "Uh, no. I'm going to be taking 20 credit hours and have really weird clinical hours, so it's really just not going to work. Thanks for the offer though."
Manager 2: "Ok, well what we're going to do is just do a leave of absence for you while you're on your study abroad and then when you get to DC you can figure out if it's going to work and then you can call me and I'll call over there and have you transfer. If you don't work for 90 days the system bumps you out automatically, but this at least leaves you with an option."

To all of which I'm thinking either a) they're just being nice and trying to help or b) they're just ignoring everything I say like always or c) there's something going on where they'll get in trouble if any more people quit (which I found out later actually was the case because they have a turnover rate that's through the roof).

So it was a really round-about way, but in the end I guess I still get what I wanted. And in the meantime, I'm still an employee so I still get my discount.

Anyone wanna go shopping? ; )

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

That's hilarious! Seriously laughing. Who wouldn't want to work at Old Navy instead of becoming a nurse?!? You must be crazy:)

Andy and Bri said...

So they did just do the leave of absence thing? Can you say Park City outlets when we're in town?

sydney b. said...

haha i love your blog! and i love this story. where are you working at???

Mique said...

@ Linds: I know right? Completely delusional.
@ Bri: Um, yes. Absolutely yes.
@ Syd: Thanks! This all happened at Old Navy. A good store, but a little special :)