Saturday, June 11, 2011

OCD, much?

Ok, I know this will not come as a shock to anyone, but here goes: I have OCD. Ridiculously obnoxious OCD.

How do I know, you ask? Take for instance washing my hair. Seems like a simple task, right? Yet, I simply cannot feel clean if I only wash my hair once, so I end up washing it two or three times. Washing your hair three times in one shower?! Unnecessary? Yes. Excessive? Absolutely. Yet even though I intuitively know it's absurd, I have this innate need to wash my hair multiple times in the same shower.

Don't think that's sufficient evidence? Add this: I'm running late for school or work or church or (insert event here), and *I KNOW* I locked my car. And yet, I find myself running back to it, just to make sure. Just to hear that comforting honk my car gives when it locks. Yes, this exacerbates the problem of being late, but I really can't help it. I have OCD.

I could site countless other idiosyncrasies to prove my point, but the fact remains: I have a severe case of OCD. I'm fairly confident it runs in my family, though I can't trace it to which parent we got it from. So, it's been driving me crazy that my blog title and picture weren't centered on the page but could not for the LIFE of me figure out how to fix it. Enter Brock, who is graduating with his MBA soon and is tech-savvy where I am not. Two nights ago I was over at Linds and Brock's house and Brock kindly took time away from doing homework to help me fix it. Major props to him! Seriously, I never would have figured it out without his help.

Ok, now for the funny part of the story. The next morning I open my email only to find that I have a message from Brock. This is what it says*:

Meek,

I just noticed that the text/title isn't centered on the picture. We will have to look at that and fix it.

Love you.

*(I didn't get his permission to post it, but I just can't help it. . . it's too perfect. I'll ask his forgiveness later)

Little did I know that OCD is not only a genetic predisposition as I have always suspected, but it apparently can be passed by being in close proximity to those with the disease :)

No comments: