Sunday, September 4, 2011

Bula Vinaka!

First Fiji, then Boston. Also, just a few words about Fiji. Going on this trip I was SO stoked for Australia and New Zealand because they are places I've dreamed of for as long as I can remember, and I just thought that Fiji would be a sweet place. Little could I know that Fiji would steal my heart.
  • The children (p.s. don't mind the fact that I look like Quasimodo, that's just my nice little eye infection...)

Samisae braiding my hair
The absolutely cutest little boy on the planet, I'm convinced (minus my nephew, of course)
Also I'm trying to upload a video of the kids singing which was one of my favorites but it's not working for some reason. When I get it to work I'll post it later.
  • The villagers
Again, if I could load a video I would, but for now, pictures will have to suffice

They made the sweetest, most elaborate meals for us and they would stand behind the table, just so proud of their work and it just melted your heart.
They would dance and sing for us at our welcoming ceremony and goodbye ceremony
So much attention to detail in everything, from the flower necklaces they gave us when we first got there to this welcoming sign to the food. Everything was perfect.
Again with the detail. This was the archway they made at our picnic on the beach.
  •  Lemon leaf tea
This stuff was goooooooood. So good that our director's wife tried to bring some leafs back with her to the U.S. for which she got stopped at customs and is now on the biodiversity watchlist. Note to self, don't try to bring leaves back from other countries.
  • Our uninhabited island
Unbelievably and indescribably beautiful
  •  And last, but definitely not least, our guides
Seriously, if you are ever planning a trip in Fiji you need to use Tamarillo. These guys did SUCH a good job and honestly made the trip for us. It would not have been nearly as amazing without them. I got so attached to them that I wanted to bring all of them back to the U.S. with me so I wouldn't have to leave them.  Love them.

Johnny letting me borrow his sunglasses for a picture on the top of our uninhabited island


The Tamarillo gang. Top Row (please note that I'm going to slaughter the spelling of their names, but what can ya do?): Gus, Juilian, Tox, Marina, George, Ratu's wife, Ratu, Tony. Bottom Row: Ravai, Thomase, Simone (with Ratu's son), Johnny (with Ratu's other son), Brent (with Ratu's daughter), and Katherine


My favorites: Gus, Johnny, Tox, and Simone
Other things that aren't highlights but that I should talk about anyway...
  • My eye infection
This is me trying to open my eye as wide as I could.... epic fail.
  •  Cava
It's this ...interesting... drink that they have ALL the time. It tastes like mud and makes your mouth tingly.

Me holding the cava root. They grind this up and mix it with water to drink.
  •  Fish
So much fish. I'm pretty sure I've met my fish quota for the rest of my life


I could go on about Fiji for pages and pages, but this is it for now. Maybe if you're lucky I'll post more later :)

1 comment:

Andy and Bri said...

It sounds like it was absolutely amazing! Hope you're liking Boston so far! Love you!