Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I'm a local! ...kinda...

Alright, here it is: my update on life in Boston, finally! It's been a crazy few weeks, and bound to get more so, I'm sure. But don't worry, I've managed to have plenty of fun in the process. Here's a glimpse at life on the east coast:

Mom and Daddy flew out with me to help me move in and get settled. Good thing they did, I'm really not sure how I would have managed without their help.

First getting in to Boston. Daddy didn't know how to focus my camera so the image is super blurry, but you get the general idea.
Why yes, I did check 6 huge suitcases jam packed with my belongings. What you don't see is my backpack and purse that I carried on and Mom's purse and Dad's two carry-ons as well. They were so good to me to let me use all of the checked luggage for my stuff.
We got in Tuesday afternoon and with a few mishaps (aka getting lost multiple times... navigating around here is hard!) we made it to Boston College to check it out.


Bright and early Wednesday morning I had orientation that lasted all day, and while I was at that Mom and Daddy were out running errands for me (aren't they the best?)

In front of the nursing school, my home for the next two years
We spent several days getting everything settled and my room set up (a separate post with pictures to come later). Then finally on Saturday we were able to get out and see Boston. We went on the Freedom Trail and it was really cool!

The cemetery where Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, John Hancock, and Benjamin Franklin's parents are buried





Paul Revere statue with the Old North church in the background.
We made a stop at Mike's Pastries, this famous Italian pastry shop in the North end. It was PACKED with a line going down the street for about a block.

This picture does not do justice to the madness that is Mike's Pastry
We also went on a Duck Tour and got a sweet view of the Boston skyline.

I WILL ride in a sailboat at some time while I live here

We thought the moon looked really cool behind this building, so we had to take a picture
Sadly my parents had to leave on Sunday, but I'm so grateful I was able to have them here as long as I did. Thank you Mom and Daddy!

Randomly on Sunday I ran in to my Jerusalem friend Rebekah at church and come to find out she lives in my house! There are two apartments: mine is the upstairs and hers is the downstairs! It was seriously one of the most random experiences of my life, but I was so happy to have a friend so close! And since Monday was a holiday, I went down to her apartment Monday morning to see if she would want to explore with me and she told me that she was going on the Freedom Trail and would I want to come? Why yes, yes I would. Also, her sister married my other Jerusalem friend B, and they were in town for the weekend so they were coming on the trail too! I was seriously so happy! B is one of my most favorite people, so I was stoked to be able to spend the day with him, even if I was crashing their family time.

This time on the Freedom Trail was a little different because we rented bikes and rode them around town for a lot of it. Seriously, so much fun. When you come to Boston to visit me (hint, hint), we will do this. It's that much fun. Riding bikes along the cobblestones made me feel like I was in a scene from a movie straight out of Europe. Loved it.

Rebekah, B, and Rachel on their bikes
B touring the U.S.S Constitution
The four of us chillin in the garden at Boston Commons
Anyway, that's Boston for ya! Oh yeah, and school stuff too, but those are minor details, right?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cally!!!! It looks like so much fun!!! I want to come visit you and ride bikes together. That would be amazing! Glad you are all settled in my friend! Love YOU!!!

Illumine said...

So crazy, honey! So proud of you! Thanks for posting :D

Andy and Bri said...

I want to go to there! I'm glad that you're having a good time! Love you!