Monday, August 22, 2011

Down Under

Alright, I'm going to break my study abroad into segments so it doesn't seem as overwhelming for me. First up: Australia.

Back row buddies Ryan and Rachael. We were literally on the last row of the 747.
So, getting to Australia takes a really long time. Especially when you have a million hour layover in LA. But even without that, the plane ride from LA to Brisbane takes 14 hours. Not overly pleasant when you can't sleep on airplanes, which I can't. But, I worked on some homework and watched some movies so it all worked out in the end.

My reaction to being in Australia...

...vs Emma's reaction to being in Australia. Yes, I was a little excited. And yes, I am aware I look like a maniac.
Anyway, we flew into Brisbane but our final destination was Cairns, so we caught another flight up there. When we got to the airport we had to wait for our van, so naturally while we were waiting we took pictures.

Our life for the next 6 weeks

These random statues outside the airport

The security guard told us we should plank on these... not comfortable at. all.
Beautiful Cairns

Kate my tent mate trying to get the stakes in

Part of our campground. Notice the misshapen tent on the left? Yeah, that was mine. Come to find out, one of the poles was cracked and being held together by duct tape, and it just snapped while we were setting our tent up. Awesome.

After we pitched our tents we headed straight to the pool. No one is in the water because it was FREEZING.

So, we bought this "towel: at REI because it was quick-dry. Never opened it until I got to Cairns, and this is what I found. My sweet little handtowel.

Where we stayed in Cairns. With Kate and Emma.

We ate SQUID
Ok, this is already taking too long. Some highlights from Australia (get ready for a picture overload. also, sorry the pictures aren't in the same order as the commentary, I'm really bad at figuring out blogger...)
Ally, Katie, Me, Neeley, Stephanie
  • The stunningly beautiful esplanade 
  • Botanical Gardens


My diving buddies Neeley and Ally
  • Stephanie, Me, Katie, Julie, Neeley, Emma, Rachael, Liz, Chalay, Kaye, Ally
  • Scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef!
  • Feeding a wallaby and holding a koala
  • Sleeping in swags in the outback
  • Hiking in the Blue Mountains
  • Sydney Temple (sorry no pictures, it was pouring rain)
  • Rugby Game in Sydney
  • Manly Beach
Neeley and Me (what am I doing with my hands?)
Me, Julie, Ally
Julie, Neeley, Ally, Me (with Kate and Sarah in the background)
Katie, Me, Ally, Julie, Sharon
Back Row: Rachael, Julie, Me, Sarah, Neeley Front Row: Katie, Kate, Emma, Ally, Liz

2 comments:

Andy and Bri said...

Love it! Keep them coming!

Illumine said...

Wow--it looks so amazing! I wanna see more! Abandon your responsibilities and upload photos!!!