I was so proud of myself that I hadn't gotten sick. Given my immune system's track record, I didn't think that it was feasible for me to spend every day with sick kids and not somehow contract their illness. But here we were, at the end of October and I hadn't gotten sick yet? Score!
And yet, I spoke too soon.
Sunday I went to the MinuteClinic because I knew I had strep. I got some meds and went home and rested. Luckily classes were cancelled on Monday for the hurricane so I didn't miss anything by being out sick. Tuesday I went to class but I still felt a little bit like death. Weird since I was already on dose 5 of penicillin. Cause the one good thing about strep is that once you start taking the meds you start feeling a lot better. Except I didn't.
Last night I started thinking that the reason I wasn't feeling better was because I had pneumonia. I tried to listen to my lungs with my stethoscope, but come to find out it's really hard to listen to your own lungs. Especially when they are as tight as mine were. I went to clinical today where my preceptor heard my cough and knew something was wrong. She gave me a nebulizer treatment to loosen up my lungs and then diagnosed me with pneumonia and sent me home with a prescription.
I got a text today from Linds that said, "I see what you're doing though... trying out every disease you can think of so you can truly have sympathy for your patients. I applaud your dedication, but you may want to rethink your tactics." She's right, I need to adjust my tactics. This one clearly isn't working out for me.
I'm gonna count today as a loss and try again tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment